Back to sector
Our transition to low carbon heating systems won't be easy - but Scotland's has a number of competitive advantages that place us at the forefront of this growing sector.
And the Scottish Government's commitment to decarbonising our heat network makes Scotland a natural home for your low carbon heat company.
Scotland offers ambitious renewable energy targets, funding and support for low carbon heating projects, a highly skilled workforce, outstanding R&D facilities and a growing low carbon heat market.
Heat demand is at the core of our energy system. Heat is the largest source of CO2 emissions in Scotland and the largest part of our energy use.
With the Scottish Government committed to supporting low carbon heat and consumers becoming increasingly energy conscious, there is significant opportunity for companies to exploit the growing low carbon heat technology market.
As Scotland develops a more integrated energy system, innovative heat technology businesses will find growing opportunities in a range of different areas.
Heat technology sectors in Scotland:
- Heat pumps
- District heating
- Waste heat recovery
Financial support in Scotland
We can help you find the right funding to support your project.
From funding to secure jobs to financial support for innovation and R&D, from venture capital, loans and equity funding to 16 designated Enterprise Areas - you'll find a supportive business environment in Scotland.
We want your project to make the most of Scotland's competitive advantage. Our partners at Scottish Enterprise and Highlands and Islands Enterprise offer tailored support for low carbon heat technology projects.
We're determined to help you make the most of Scotland's competitive advantage so we'll develop a package of financial support to help your investment in Scotland thrive.
Financial support for your investment
From the Scottish Energy Centre at Edinburgh Napier University to the Energy Systems Research Unit at the University of Strathclyde, Scotland's universities have the expertise to support low carbon heating.
And our academic sector is used to collaborating with the private sector on major innovation centres.
We can also offer a network of test and demonstration facilities, from Doosan Babcock's thermal technology test centre to the BRE Innovation Park at Ravenscraig.
Incentives for heat technology
Scotland has ambitious targets for the adoption of low carbon heat technologies.
To help reach those targets a number of incentives are in place:
- A supportive planning framework – National Planning Framework 3 and latest Scottish Planning Policy strongly support the deployment of heat networks and renewable energy generation.
- The 'Scotland Heat Map'- an interactive heat map that allows users to identify heat density and proximity to heat sources across any settlement in Scotland and assess areas of opportunity
- The latest Scottish Building Standards have substantially improved energy efficiency standards for domestic and non-domestic buildings
- A multi-million pound Low Carbon Infrastructure Transition programme which can fund innovative low carbon heat demonstration projects
- Heat Network Partnership – A consortium of organisations with expertise in heat networks helping to develop the heat network sector in Scotland
- District Heating Loan Fund – A loan fund to support the development of district heat networks in Scotland
Want to find out more about incentives for your company?
Contact your local office
Companies investing in Scotland benefit from our talented workforce.
Head of Trade and Investment, Energy -
Scotland's abundant resources make it a natural home for your renewable energy project. And you'll also find unrivalled business support, outstanding locations, exceptional experience and unique energy capabilities.
We have offices in 20 countries, staffed by teams who can talk you through Scotland’s capabilities and the funding support that may be available to you.
Get in touch with us