Investor Visa

If you’re a non-EEA or Swiss citizen you may be eligible for a Tier 1 Investor Visa if you’re investing at least £2 million in UK government bonds, share capital or loan capital in trading companies registered in the UK.

The investment and maintenance funds need to be held at a regulated financial institution and you must be able to prove that the money is ‘disposable in the UK’.

You will need to open a regulated UK bank account before applying for this type of visa.

Applying for permanent residency in Scotland

After you’ve been in Scotland for five years on the investor visa, you can apply for indefinite leave to remain to settle permanently in Scotland.

If you invest a higher amount of money such as £5 million or £10 million, you may be eligible to apply for permanent residency sooner than the standard five-year timeframe.

Your route to live, work and invest in Scotland

The investor visa is the only route to live, work and invest in the UK where there is no requirement for the investor to demonstrate a certain level of English proficiency.

Investor visa restrictions

There are some restrictions on the type of investments the investor visa can be used for.

For example, funds cannot be invested in syndicate companies or companies mainly engaged in property investment, property management or property development.

In This Section

Business visas in Scotland

If you’re a business or individual who wants to relocate to or invest in Scotland, you’ll need to consider different types of visa and immigration requirements.

Sole representatives

Visa requirements for sole representatives of an overseas business.

Standard Visitor Visa

As a business or investor in Scotland, you can obtain a short-term visitor visa for business purposes.

Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur Visa

This visa has closed and is no longer available

Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa

The Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa has closed and is no longer available

Sponsorship and recruitment

Here are some things to consider before sponsoring a non-European Economic Area national to work for you in Scotland.

If you have any questions or want to talk with one of our advisers, we’re always ready to help.