Sole Representatives

Visa requirements for soul representatives of an overseas business.

If your business is based outside Scotland, you can send an employee over on a long-term basis to set up the business and establish a commercial presence for the company in Scotland.

If the employee is from outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland, they can apply for a Representative of an Overseas Business Visa.

The sole representative should usually be a senior member of staff who is going to set up a registered branch or a wholly owned subsidiary of the company in Scotland.

They usually should not be a majority shareholder in the company and must have been recruited and employed by the company outside of the UK.

If your company already has a branch or subsidiary in Scotland or the rest of the UK that is already trading – or you already have a representative in Scotland or another part of the UK, this visa will not be appropriate. You should therefore consider other types of visa.

Find out more about a sole representative visa on GOV.UK

In This Section

Business visas in Scotland

If you’re a business or individual who wants to relocate to or invest in Scotland, you’ll need to consider different types of visa and immigration requirements.

Standard Visitor Visa

As a business or investor in Scotland, you can obtain a short-term visitor visa for business purposes.

Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur Visa

If you’re a recent graduate with a genuine, credible business idea, and you want to set up your business in Scotland, you may be eligible for a Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur Visa.

Tier 1 Investor Visa

If you’re a non-EEA or Swiss citizen you may be eligible for a Tier 1 Investor Visa if you’re investing at least £2 million in UK government bonds, share capital or loan capital in trading companies registered in the UK.

Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa

Are you or are any of your employees a recognised leader (“exceptional talent”) or emerging leader (“exceptional promise”) in your field? You may be eligible for the exceptional talent visa to work in Scotland.

Sponsorship and recruitment

Here are some things to consider before sponsoring a non-European Economic Area national to work for you in Scotland.

If you have any questions or want to talk with one of our advisers, we’re always ready to help.