Centres of excellence
Discover our world-class facilities
Significant investment has gone into creating world-class facilities which endow Scotland with the highly developed infrastructure that modern biotech R&D demands.
These facilities include:
- Landmark £600 million public/private sector investment to create Scotland’s flagship life sciences campus
- A major collaboration between the University of Edinburgh and Scottish Enterprise, working with NHS Lothian
- Home to a community of over 1200 dedicated researchers
- Positions Edinburgh as one of the world’s top 10 centres for biomedical investment
- The only UK location to offer a large modern teaching hospital and bespoke biomedical R&D facilities on one site
Read more about our world-class facilities at Edinburgh BioQuarter
BioCity Scotland is a joint venture with Roslin BioCentre and was founded in early 2012, following the acquisition of a former MSD research facility at Newhouse. It's since become the centre for a wide range of research, training, events and thought leadership in the life sciences industry.
BioCity Scotland provides more than 130,000 square feet of high specification chemistry and biology laboratories and office space, available for rent to companies in the bioscience, pharmaceutical, medtech and healthcare industries.
The research facilities include an impressive range of high quality research equipment such as Nuclear Magnetic Resonance machines, Mass Spectrometers and High Performance Liquid Chromotagraphy machines, as well as standard apparatus such as centrifuges, balances and microscopes.
10 new businesses started at BioCity Scotland in 2012