Renewable energy in Scotland
Scotland is home to more than 2000 companies in the energy sector, operating in over 100 markets. We also have 45 years' experience in offshore and subsea technologies, enabling the sector’s diversification into renewable energy.
An investment in Scotland's renewable energy industry means access to a strong supply chain, government investment, a skilled workforce and competitive operational costs.
Companies including Samsung Heavy Industries, Areva and E.ON have already made themselves at home in Scotland.
Read more about our key renewables sites on the Scottish Enterprise website.
Read about our renewable energy sites
Why choose Scotland for your renewable energy project?
5 reasons to invest
- Abundant resources − Scotland is estimated to have around a quarter of Europe's wind and tidal energy and ten percent of its wave resource
- Unique capabilities − In 2012, renewable energy amounted to 39 percent of Scottish consumption, beating our target of 31 percent.
- Outstanding locations - Energy generation sites in enterprise areas, deepwater ports - we are a natural home for renewables.
- Exceptional experience − Renewables already employs 11,500 people in Scotland - our workforce is knowledgeable and capable. Scotland also has Europe's largest energy research group - The Energy Technology Partnership.
- Unrivalled support - The Scottish Government have made £200 million of funding available for renewables innovation and development
- Europe's biggest onshore wind farm - Whitelees farm near Glasgow - operating since January 2008)
- The world's first deepwater offshore wind farm - (Beatrice demonstrator - built 2007)
- The world’s first grid-connected, accredited test facility for wave and tidal technologies - (European Marine Energy Centre in Orkney - operating since 2003)
- The world's most powerful wind turbine - (Samsung Heavy Industries' 7MW device, currently being tested at Energy Park Fife - October 2013)
Are you planning a project?
With 40 years' experience in oil and gas, Scotland has the manufacturing, engineering and energy consultancy know-how to realise your renewable energy project.
If you're looking for a specific product or service here in Scotland, we can point you in the right direction.
We have offices in 27 countries, staffed by teams who can talk you through Scotland’s capabilities and the funding support that may be available to you.
Tell us a bit about your business and a specialist from your region or sector will get back to you.
Get in touch with us
International sector head for renewable energy