Our factsheets will give you a brief overview of some legal document terms used in international trade.
Gain a better understanding of these documents to better prepare yourself for exporting:
- Customs, duties and taxes
- Documentary letters of credit
- Agent intermediary agreements
- Distributor intermediary agreements
- International sales contracts
- Payment methods
Read more about documents needed to export
Import duties and taxes
The Market Access Database (MADB) provides basic information to EU exporters such as import duties and taxes applicable in numerous non-EU countries, documentary requirements applicable in export markets and trade statistics.
Information about import duties and taxes on the Market Access Database website
Specific information relating to the export of goods
In certain sectors, it may not possible to export your products to particular markets or the costs of doing so may not be worthwhile.
Before you begin to export, always check the following:
- UK Government export restrictions/export controls
- Foreign country import restrictions
- Tariffs/taxes that may be applicable
- Standards (e.g. British standards, ISO standards or other industry standards)
- Weights and measures (e.g. Imperial vs metric vs US)
More resources to help your research
For information on export controls and licenses contact the Export Control Organisation
For information on import duties, taxes, tax rebates, licenses and prohibitions that may apply to particular products refer to the UK Trade Tariff